2 - Define
The initial Discover phase is about opening out and exploring the challenge to identify problems and opportunities. The Define stage channels these towards actionable tasks.
The mass of ideas and findings are analysed and structured into a reduced set of problem statements. These are aligned with the organisational needs and business objectives to identify which to take forward. The Define phase results in a clear definition of the fundamental challenge or problem to be addressed through a design-led product or service.
- Analyse the outputs of the Discover phase
- Synthesise the findings into a reduced number of opportunities
- Define a clear brief for sign off by all stakeholders.
- Analyse and evaluate all of the data gathered in the ‘discover’ phase to establish focus
- How does what we’re doing at the moment not meet what the user has said
- Define what the actual problem is
Tools & Techniques:
- User Stories
- Roses & Thorns
- How might we (HMW)
- Personas/character profiles
- Research findings report
- Statistical data analysis
The outcome from this stage is to understand what the user and stakeholder need is and how we will know we’re successful at meeting this.